Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Worms


Would you believe it’s now two weeks since Alvin bit me, and my arm is still not completely healed? One of his teeth went particularly deep, and it’s this that is still causing me problems. To compound matters, I had an allergic reaction to the first lot of antibiotics, and the bottom half of my face swelled up until I looked like a hamster with lip enhancements. Alvin, of course, made a full and quick recovery from his ailment, and shows no signs of remorse for having maimed his mummy.

Anyway, last week, just to add to my woes, I had to get a story into Oklahoma Living magazine by Wednesday, and typing was very difficult. But, not having much choice in the matter, I did it anyway. I am such a martyr to my trade. :-)

Writing with a pen or pencil was also very painful, worse than typing in fact, and I really can’t start my day without a cup of tea and my crossword. My favorite crossword is the cryptic one from a Scottish newspaper called The Herald. It’s one of the few newspapers that still offers a free printable crossword on-line every weekday. If you’re interested you can find it here: http://www.theherald.co.uk/crosswords/
I could have done the on-line version, but it’s just not the same. To me crosswords have to be done on paper.

Just to digress a moment, although the crossword was invented by an American, the Brits took the idea and came up with the cryptic crossword. These are particularly tricky crosswords, as you have to work out what the clue means before you can answer it. It’s like a battle of wits, and sometimes all out war, between the compiler and the solver.

Anyway, unable to do my crossword, I came across a word game on-line called Bookworm, and now I’m hooked. If you want to check it out you can find it here:
http://get.games.yahoo.com/proddesc?gamekey=bookworm#ffabtn
But I warn you, it’s addictive. I am now having to wean myself off it, but at least it kept me occupied during my incapacity.

I am a huge fan of word puzzles and word games, particularly Scrabble, but then I suppose words are my stock and trade. I call them worms, because they are so squiggly and squirmy that they wriggle away from you just when you need them the most.

On a final note, a big thank you to everyone who stopped by and commiserated with me in my hour of need, I really appreciated it.

Toodle pip for now.






5 comments:

Gill - That British Woman said...

I am not a fan of crosswords, but just love Sudoku......

Gill in Canada

DeniseinVA said...

Great to see you posting Jan. Hope it won't be long before you are TOTALLY recovered. I enjoyed your post as I love scrabble and enjoy word games so I am going to check out those links. My mother-in-law was a wonderful crossword puzzle solver. She used to like the one in the New York Post.

Pam said...

Isn't it just typical that the cat is fine and you are injured for a couple of weeks??!!! He's probably secretly gloating also. Welcome back and glad you are doing better!!!

Pam said...

By the way, I love that Worm word game. I've burned the library more than once.

Gill - That British Woman said...

I just wanted to let you know I have become addicted to that stupid bookworm!!!!LOL I have actually included a link to your blog, your post and the bookworm in my post for Sunday.

Gill in Canada