Sunday, February 15, 2009
Today, on a quiet Sunday stroll around the Interweb, I was suddenly interrupted by a message, allegedly from Microsoft, warning me that several of my computer files were corrupted with a virus. It also told me to download software to clear the virus.
Immediately alarm bells began ringing in my head. Back in 2002, my old computer was struck by a virus, and the only way hubby could get rid of it was to completely wipe my hard-drive. At that time, I had no back-up system in place and lost everything.
This time, I looked at the web address where the message originated – there was no mention of Microsoft. I ought to have made a note of it, but didn’t. Sorry! I know it said www police, and ended with promo 3. I immediately closed down the Internet, and set my own anti-virus program running – it detected nothing. I then went onto the Internet, clicked on Tools, and Internet Options, and deleted my browsing history, and all cookies.
Just thought I should pass this along in case it happens to any of you. Be careful out there.
Toodle Pip for now.
Sunday, February 8, 2009
trapped in the ice pack.
(Photo by Frank Hurley - 1915)
I’m sorry to read in the comments that several of you are also have teething troubles, you have my complete sympathy. I have to go back to the periodontist on Tuesday to have my bite corrected. This will mean 3 hours in the chair having my teeth ground into alignment, followed by a hefty bill. I can hardly wait. :-(
A while ago, Gill, at http://thatbritishwoman.blogspot.com/ challenged me to come up with 10 things I love beginning with the letter "A," so here we go, and in no particular order:
- ANTARCTICA, I have a fascination with the place, and love reading about the early exploration of this icy continent by such men as Shackleton, Scott, and Amundson.
- APPLE CRUMBLE, it’s one of my favorite puddings (desserts), especially when smothered in custard.
- ANIMALS, especially my three cats. And I love elephants, even though I don’t have one around the place. We have a big yard, but not that big! But I was lucky enough to see elephants in the wild, on a trip to Kenya many moons ago.
- ALPHABET, I love words, but then they are my stock and trade. I’m one of those people who picks up the dictionary to check a spelling or a definition and gets distracted by other words.
- ARIZONA, I love the Grand Canyon, and have seen it twice. My step-daughter got married there.
- ANNIE PROULX, I love all her books, but if I had to pick a favorite, it would be "That Old Ace in the Hole."
- AFTERNOONS, I’m not a morning person, even though I get up early most days.
- ALCOHOL, especially wine, and particularly cabernet sauvignon.
- THE ADRIATIC SEA, I love the Greek Islands, and the sea that surrounds them is so beautiful and clear.
- AMAZON, because I love books and reading.
I’ve changed the rules a bit as not everyone wants to play along with these meme games.
- If you would like me to assign you a letter, let me know in your comment on this blog.
- Write about ten things you love that begin with said letter.
- Post the list on your blog, and invite your readers to play along.
Toodle pip for now.
Endurance, crushed by the ice pack.
Photo by Frank Hurley - 1915