Monday, November 17, 2008

Oh Deer!

It’s true what they say, it doesn’t rain but it pours. Not only am I still having problems with my arm, but last week, Mick hit a deer on his way to work. He was driving on a two-lane highway, with a 55-MPH speed limit, when the deer ran right out in front of him and stopped. He had no chance to brake, or swerve to avoid it. The deer went right across the bonnet (hood).

The result:
Damage to Mick – zero
Damage to car – bad, but repairable
Damage to deer – terminal.

At first glance, the car doesn’t look too bad,



but one headlight is smashed, the bonnet (hood) is dented and warped,


and the side panel is cracked and hanging loose.


But at least Mick was only shaken, not stirred, and that’s the main thing. Still, one cannot help but wonder, what else is going to go wrong?
On a brighter note...
One of my friends got married at the weekend. She is, or was, a member of my writer’s group, The Grand Lake Wordsmiths. The blushing bride is a septuagenarian, and her beau, an octogenarian. I wish them lots of love and happiness in their future lives together. C. is moving to Missouri, and will be sadly missed by the writer’s group, she is an excellent writer and a masterful poet. Sorry, about the photo, they all came out a bit dark.
































7 comments:

Pam said...

Awww, that's so sweet. About the couple, not the car and the deer! I have a friend here with a similar story -- even to the point of moving to Missouri! You are up there in deer country though, I bet your husband was shaken for sure.

DeniseinVA said...

Well, first of all I was sorry hearing your arm is still not a hundred percent, secondly about your husband and his run-in with the deer. Glad he isn't badly hurt. Deer collisions are very common in our neck of the woods also. And to end on the brightest note of your friend's wedding. how wonderful, and I too wish them all the love and happiness in the world.

Unknown said...

The deer thing is totally crazy here, I live indread after dark of hitting one. In fact the women doing our floor tonight hit one on the way back from eating between coats of finish!! Glad to hear Mick was fine but sorry about the car.

BTW we have decided not to de-claw Bon-Bon

Gill - That British Woman said...

your dh was lucky, as it could have been a lot worse.

That is so neat about your friend getting married. I wish them many years of happiness!!

By the way I am still hooked on that rotten bookworm..LOL

Gill in Canada

Jo, a retired teacher said...

I found your site wandering through blogs I read from time to time and decided to comment because my hubby hit a deer (mule deer in my part of the country) on Sunday. He was not hurt at all, the deer jumped up and ran off, and his truck suffered a broken grille and dislodged turn signal light.

Sometimes even when you are watching for them, they cannot be avoided.

Raquel said...

Jan: Love it about your friend getting married! Glad Mick is ok, and the car looks fixable - and at least it is driveable. Did you all keep the deer? Much love, Raquel XO

PS: Sorry for not commenting, have been busy!

Unknown said...

Come pick up your award at mine!