Saturday, July 12, 2008

Computer Injury, Reading, and The Coleman Theatre


The Coleman Theatre, Miami, Oklahoma -Photograph by Gary Crow


My neck and shoulders are much better now, but I have to limit the time I spend on the computer as it still gets achy if I overdo things. I certainly don’t want to have a repeat of all that pain; it was so bad that Mick took me to the emergency room. I think if it recurs I will have to see a chiropractor. Anyway, enough of the whining.

But it has been damned inconvenient as regards the book. I was unable to work on it for over a week! And this is one I can’t write with pen and paper, as all my research is on the computer.

On the plus side, I did get some reading done. I read James Michener’s Alaska which I thoroughly enjoyed. This is historical fiction at its best. The book covers the history of this amazing state from the arrival of the Mastodons and Wooly Mammoths in prehistoric times, right up to the mid-80’s. I will definitely be reading more of Michener’s books.

I’ve also started reading Michael Palin’s Diaries 1969 –1979, which covers the Monty Python years, up to now it has been pretty interesting.

My latest article appeared in the July edition of Oklahoma Living Magazine, it’s about the restoration of the Coleman Theatre (yes, they prefer the English spelling) in Miami, (pronounced Miamuh, for some obscure reason) in NE Oklahoma. If you ever find yourself in this neck of the woods, I highly recommend a visit to the Coleman. The volunteers have done an amazing job of restoring the place to its former glory, I was mighty impressed. If you would like to read my article you’ll find it on Oklahoma Living’s web site at:

www.ok-living.coop

It’s under the heading "The new old Coleman."


The Coleman Theatre - Photograph by Gary Crow

3 comments:

Pam said...

Hey, welcome back! Glad you are better but do take it easy. I find a deep tissue massage works better for me than the chiropractor, plus I feel more pampered ;)

Anyway, we drove past this Coleman theater once when we were in Miami Christmas before last. Wish we had stopped in. We were up there to see the WWII era British war graves in the Miami Cemetery. I have a photo of them that was published in This England magazine around December. There are also a few graves in Ponca City.

Congrats on the article, I will look it up and have a read! And maybe a trip back up that way sometime!

Janet said...

Pam, I didn't know there were British war graves in Miami, I will have to check that out.

Shame you missed a tour of the theatre, the interior is much more impressive than the exterior. Maybe next time.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're feeling better. :D